Created 2017 General Session
(1) There is created within the department the Towing Advisory Board consisting of the following 13 members:
(a) one member of the Senate appointed by the president of the Senate;
(b) one member of the House of Representatives appointed by the speaker of the House of Representatives;
(c) the executive director of the department, or the executive director's designee;
(d) the chair of the State Tax Commission, or the chair's designee;
(e) the commissioner of the Department of Public Safety, or the commissioner's designee;
(f) two individuals appointed by the Utah Association of Counties;
(g) two individuals appointed by the Utah League of Cities and Towns;
(h) two individuals from the state's towing industry, appointed by the governor; and
(i) two individuals representing private property owners in the state, appointed by the governor.
(a) A person appointed to the board as described in Subsections (1)(a), (b), and (f) through (i) shall:
(i) except as provided in Subsection (2)(b), be appointed to a four-year term; and
(ii) serve from the date of appointment until a replacement is appointed.
(b) Each person or organization appointing members as described in Subsections (1)(f) through (i) shall designate one of those members to serve an initial term of two years.
(3) When a vacancy occurs in the appointed membership for any reason, the replacement shall be appointed for the unexpired term beginning the day following the expiration of the preceding term.
(4) The board shall elect a chair and vice chair at the first regular meeting of each calendar year.
(5) The board shall meet at least twice each year and at the discretion of the chair.
(6) Any seven voting members constitute a quorum for the transaction of business that comes before the board.
(7) A member of the board may not receive compensation, benefits, per diem, or travel expenses for the member's service.
(8) The board shall advise the department, the Department of Public Safety, and the State Tax Commission on interpretation and adoption of rules, and implementation of this chapter and other issues related to tow truck motor carriers, tow trucks, tow truck operators, and impound yards, including advice on developing standards for:
(a) private property towing notice and signage requirements; and
(b) due process procedures for contested towing matters.
(9) The department, the Department of Public Safety, and the State Tax Commission shall provide staff support to the board.
(10) The board shall annually report the board's actions and recommendations to the Transportation Interim Committee before November 30.
|Board member||Type||Qualification||Original Appointment||Current Appointment||Expiration|
|Brown, Brian E.||Member||private property owners representative||9/12/2017||09/12/2017||9/12/2021|
|Habel, Derek||Member||state's towing industry representative||6/1/2017||06/01/2017||6/1/2021|
|Lines, Leo L.||Member||private property owners representative||6/1/2017||06/01/2017||6/1/2021|
|Maloy, A. Cory||Chair||Appointed by the Speaker of the House||5/20/2017||05/20/2017||N/A|
|Schultz, Neil R.||Member||state's towing industry representative||6/1/2017||06/01/2017||6/1/2021|