Amended 2018 General Session
(1) There is created within the department the Conservation Commission to perform the functions specified in this chapter.
(2) The Conservation Commission shall be composed of:
(a) 11 voting members, including:
(i) the director of the Extension Service at Utah State University or the director's designee;
(ii) the executive director of the Department of Natural Resources or the executive director's designee;
(iii) the executive director of the Department of Environmental Quality or the executive director's designee;
(iv) the president of the County Weed Supervisors Association or the president's designee; and
(v) seven district supervisors who provide district representation on the commission on a multicounty basis; and
(b) the commissioner or the commissioner's designee.
(3) If a district supervisor is unable to attend a meeting, the district supervisor may designate an alternate to serve in the place of the district supervisor for that meeting.
(4) None of the members described in Subsection (2)(a)(v) or (3) may serve on an association that represents a conservation district.
(a) The commissioner or the commissioner's designee shall serve as chair of the Conservation Commission.
(b) The commissioner or the commissioner's designee may not vote except in the event of a tie, in which case the commissioner or the commissioner's designee shall cast the deciding vote.
(6) The members of the commission specified in Subsection (2)(e) shall:
(a) be recommended by the commission to the governor; and
(b) be appointed by the governor with the consent of the Senate.
(a) Except as required by Subsection (7)(b), as terms of current commission members expire, the governor shall appoint each new member or reappointed member to a four-year term.
(b) Notwithstanding the requirements of Subsection (7)(a), the governor shall, at the time of appointment or reappointment, adjust the length of terms to ensure that the terms of commission members are staggered so that approximately half of the commission is appointed every two years.
(c) A commission member may not be appointed to more than two consecutive terms.
(8) When a vacancy occurs in the membership for any reason, the replacement shall be appointed for the unexpired term.
(9) Attendance of six voting members of the commission at a meeting constitutes a quorum.
(10) A member may not receive compensation or benefits for the member's service, but may receive per diem and travel expenses in accordance with:
(a) Section 63A-3-106;
(b) Section 63A-3-107; and
(c) rules made by the Division of Finance pursuant to Sections 63A-3-106 and 63A-3-107.
(11) The commission shall keep a record of the commission's actions.
(12) The attorney general shall provide legal services to the commission upon request.
|Board member||Type||Qualification||Original Appointment||Current Appointment||Expiration|
|Arbon, Todd||Member||ZONE 2 - Davis, Morgan, Salt Lake, Tooele and Weber||10/17/2018||10/17/2018||5/8/2022|
|Bowler, Stuart||Member||ZONE 5 - Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane and Washington||10/17/2018||10/17/2018||5/8/2022|
|Butcher, William||Member||ZONE 7 - Carbon, Emery, Grand and San Juan||10/17/2018||10/17/2018||5/8/2022|
|Caldwell, Jerry||Ex-Officio||(h) Utah Weed Supervisors Association President||3/1/2011||03/01/2011||N/A|
|Evans, Kim||Member||ZONE 3 - Summit, Utah and Wasatch||10/17/2018||10/17/2018||5/8/2019|
|Gaddis, Erica B.||Ex-Officio||(d) Representing Utah Department of Environmental Quality||7/11/2017||07/11/2017||N/A|
|Gibson, Kerry W.||Member||(c) Comissioner of the Utah Department of Agriculture||5/30/2019||05/30/2019||N/A|
|Holmgren, Spencer P.||Member||ZONE 1 - Box Elder, Cache, and Rich||7/1/2015||07/01/2015||5/8/2019|
|Mower, Scott J.||Member||ZONE 4 - Juab, Millard, Piute, Sanpete, Sevier and Wayne||5/8/2016||10/17/2018||5/8/2021|
|Smith, Bryan||Member||ZONE 6 Member representing Daggett, Duchesne, and Uintah||5/17/2018||05/17/2018||5/8/2022|
|Steed, Brian C.||Ex-Officio||(e) Executive Director, Utah Department of Natural Resources||7/11/2019||07/11/2019||N/A|
|White, Kenneth L.||Ex-Officio||(a) Representing the Extension Services at Utah State University||3/20/2017||03/20/2017||N/A|