Amended 2016 General Session
(1) There is created the Utah Science Technology and Research Initiative.
(2) To oversee USTAR, there is created the Utah Science Technology and Research Governing Authority consisting of:
(a) the state treasurer or the state treasurer's designee;
(b) the executive director of the Governor's Office of Economic Development;
(c) three members appointed by the governor, with the consent of the Senate;
(d) two members appointed by the president of the Senate;
(e) two members appointed by the speaker of the House of Representatives; and
(f) one member appointed by the commissioner of higher education.
(a) The eight appointed members under Subsections (2)(c) through (f) shall serve four-year staggered terms.
(b) An appointed member under Subsection (2)(c), (d), (e), or (f):
(i) may not serve more than two full consecutive terms; and
(ii) may be removed from the governing authority for any reason before the member's term is completed:
(A) at the discretion of the original appointing authority; and
(B) after the original appointing authority consults with the governing authority.
(4) A vacancy on the governing authority in an appointed position under Subsection (2)(c), (d), (e), or (f) shall be filled for the unexpired term by the appointing authority in the same manner as the original appointment.
(a) Except as provided in Subsection (5)(b), the governor, with the consent of the Senate, shall select the chair of the governing authority to serve a one-year term.
(b) The governor may extend the term of a sitting chair of the governing authority without the consent of the Senate.
(c) The executive director of the Governor's Office of Economic Development shall serve as the vice chair of the governing authority.
(6) The governing authority shall meet at least six times each year and may meet more frequently at the request of a majority of the members of the governing authority.
(7) Five members of the governing authority are a quorum.
(8) A member of the governing authority may not receive compensation or benefits for the member's service, but may receive per diem and travel expenses as allowed in:
(a) Section 63A-3-106;
(b) Section 63A-3-107; and
(c) rules made by the Division of Finance:
(i) pursuant to Sections 63A-3-106 and 63A-3-107; and
(ii) in accordance with Title 63G, Chapter 3, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act.
(a) After consultation with the governing authority, the governor, with the consent of the Senate, shall appoint a full-time executive director to provide staff support for the governing authority.
(b) The executive director is an at-will employee who may be terminated with or without cause by:
(i) the governor; or
(ii) majority vote of the governing authority.
|Board member||Type||Qualification||Original Appointment||Current Appointment||Expiration|
|Damschen, David||Member||State Treasurer||12/11/2015||12/11/2015||N/A|
|Foxley, Theresa A.||Member||(a) Appointed by the Governor||12/20/2017||12/20/2017||12/31/2021|
|Hale, Val||Vice-chair||Executive Director of Governor's Office of Economic Development||8/1/2014||08/01/2014||N/A|
|Hwu, R. Jennifer||Member||(a) Appointed by the Governor||7/1/2015||03/01/2017||3/1/2021|
|Kendell, Richard E.||Member||(d) Appointed by the Commissioner for Higher Education||2/1/2016||07/01/2018||6/30/2022|
|Miller, Derek B.||Member||(a) Appointed by the Governor||7/1/2014||07/01/2018||6/30/2022|
|Tomco, Brigham||Member||(b) Appointed by President of the Senate||12/6/2017||12/06/2017||12/6/2021|