Amended 2019 General Session
(1) There is created the Utah Communications Authority Board.
(2) The board shall consist of nine voting board members and two nonvoting board members as follows:
(a) as voting members:
(i) three individuals appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate;
(ii) one individual who is not a legislator appointed by the speaker of the House of Representatives;
(iii) one individual who is not a legislator appointed by the president of the Senate;
(iv) two individuals nominated by an association that represents cities and towns in the state and appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate; and
(v) two individuals nominated by an association that represents counties in the state and appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate; and
(b) as nonvoting members, the chairs of the public safety advisory committee created in Section 63H-7a-207 and the PSAP advisory committee created in Section 63H-7a-208.
(3) Subject to this section, an individual is eligible for appointment under Subsection (2) if the individual has knowledge of at least one of the following:
(a) law enforcement;
(b) public safety;
(c) fire service;
(f) management; and
(4) An individual may not serve as a voting board member if the individual is a current public safety communications network:
(a) user; or
(i) Five of the board members appointed under Subsection (2)(a) shall serve an initial term of two years and four of the board members appointed under Subsection (2)(a) shall serve an initial term of four years.
(ii) Successor board members shall each serve a term of four years.
(i) The governor may remove a board member with cause.
(ii) If the governor removes a board member the entity that appointed the board member under Subsection (2)(a) shall appoint a replacement board member in the same manner as described in Subsection (2)(a).
(a) The governor shall, after consultation with the board, appoint a voting board member as chair of the board with the advice and consent of the Senate.
(b) The chair shall serve a two-year term.
(7) The board shall meet on an as-needed basis and as provided in the bylaws.
(a) The board shall elect one of the board members to serve as vice chair.
(i) The board may elect a secretary and treasurer who are not members of the board.
(ii) If the board elects a secretary or treasurer who is not a member of the board, the secretary or treasurer does not have voting power.
(c) A separate individual shall hold the offices of chair, vice chair, secretary, and treasurer.
(9) Except for the nonvoting members described in Subsection (2)(b), each board member, including the chair, has one vote.
(10) A vote of a majority of the board members is necessary to take action on behalf of the board.
(11) A board member may not receive compensation for the member's service on the board, but may, in accordance with rules adopted by the board in accordance with Title 63G, Chapter 3, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act, receive:
(a) a per diem at the rate established under Section 63A-3-106; and
(b) travel expenses at the rate established under Section 63A-3-107.
|Board member||Type||Qualification||Original Appointment||Current Appointment||Expiration|
|Member||Public Safety Advisory Committee Chair||N/A||N/A|
|Member||PSAP Advisory Committee Chair||N/A||N/A|
|Cox, Dean||Member||(v) Representative for the Utah Association of Counties||8/23/2017||08/23/2017||8/1/2021|
|Crandall, David L.||Member||(ii) one individual who is not a legislator appointed by the speaker of the House of Representatives||9/1/2015||09/01/2015||8/30/2019|
|Davenport, D. Lance||Chair||(i) Appointed by the Governor||8/23/2017||08/01/2019||8/1/2023|
|Dearden, Craig||Member||(v) Representative the Utah Association of Counties||8/23/2017||08/01/2019||8/1/2023|
|Park, John||Member||(iv) Representative for the Utah League of Cities and Towns||8/23/2017||08/01/2019||8/1/2023|
|Swalberg, Randy||Member||(i) Appointed by the Governor||8/23/2017||08/23/2017||8/1/2021|
|Topham, Clinton D.||Member||(i) Appointed by the Governor||8/23/2017||08/23/2017||8/1/2021|
|Van Tassell, Kevin T.||Member||(iii) one individual who is not a legislator appointed by the president of the Senate||5/1/2019||05/01/2019||4/30/2023|
|Whatcott, Gary||Member||(iv) Representative for the Utah League of Cities and Towns||8/23/2017||08/23/2017||8/1/2021|