No
Yes
Active
Leeflang, Arie

Executive Order:

Creating the Utah Committee on Geographic Names
WHEREAS, the history and culture of Utah is reflected in its geographic names;

WHEREAS, the public has an interest in geographic names;

WHEREAS, state and federal agencies have need for authoritative information on geographic names;

WHEREAS, liaison between the State of Utah and the United States Board on Geographic Names is needed to eliminate confusion and to promote accord and agreement on geographic name designation and origins; and

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Jon M. Huntsman, Jr., Governor of the State of Utah, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the Laws of the State of Utah do hereby order:

1. That a Utah Committee on Geographic Names be established.

2. That the director of the Division of State History or the director's designee shall serve as the secretary and shall be responsible for the proper function of said committee.

3. That the committee shall consist of eleven members who shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor with each member serving a presumptive term of four years, and shall include at least
one member of the Board of State History,
one member representing the Utah Geological Survey,
one member representing the Utah Department of Transportation, and
the resident state cartographer (employed by the United States Geological Survey). 

Seven members shall be appointed at large. 

4. That said committee's primary functions are to act as the State's liaison with the U.S. Board of Geographic Names and to review all geographic name changes and additions in Utah.

5. That any state agency proposing geographic name changes of any kind shall submit such changes to the Utah Committee on Geographic Names for prior review.

6. That federal agencies, private groups, and individuals proposing to name features or to change any geographic names in Utah, are encouraged to submit such proposals to the Utah State Committee on Geographic Names for prior review.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Utah. Done in Salt Lake City, Utah, this 15th day of December, 2005.

Jon M. Huntsman, Jr.
Governor

N/A

Positions
Board member Type Qualification Original Appointment Current Appointment Expiration
Bacon, Kelli Ex-Officio representing UDOT 2/1/2012 02/01/2012 N/A
Beck, Zachary M. Member at large member 4/1/2015 04/01/2015 6/30/2019
Blaes, Dina Member Member of the Board of State History 8/1/2015 08/01/2015 N/A
Green, Gen Member at large member 6/17/2010 07/01/2018 7/1/2022
Larsen, John Member at large member 1/1/2018 01/01/2018 1/1/2022
Leeflang, Arie Ex-Officio Division of State History representative 4/1/2015 04/01/2015 N/A
Thompson, Gregory C. Member at large member 2/1/2016 02/01/2016 1/31/2020
Vincent, David M. Ex-Officio State Cartographer, U.S. Geological Survey 4/1/1999 04/01/1999 N/A
White, Dan Chair USFS Region 4 1/1/2006 01/01/2018 1/1/2022
Willis, Grant Ex-Officio Utah Geological Survery N/A N/A