Amended 2019 General Session
(1) There is created within the division the Utah Martin Luther King, Jr. Human Rights Commission.
(a) The human rights commission shall consist of 13 members appointed by the governor to two-year terms.
(b) Notwithstanding the requirements of Subsection (2)(a), the governor shall at the time of appointment adjust the length of terms to ensure that the terms of human rights commission members are staggered so that approximately half of the human rights commission is appointed every two years.
(3) The governor shall appoint one of the members as chair of the human rights commission.
(4) The human rights commission shall meet at least quarterly.
(5) A majority of the members of the human rights commission constitutes a quorum of the human rights commission at any meeting, and the action of the majority of members present is the action of the human rights commission.
(6) A member appointed by the governor may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
(7) When a vacancy occurs in the membership, the governor shall appoint a replacement for the unexpired term.
(8) A member may not receive compensation or benefits for the member's service, but may receive per diem and travel expenses in accordance with:
(a) Sections 63A-3-106 and 63A-3-107; and
(b) rules made by the Division of Finance pursuant to Sections 63A-3-106 and 63A-3-107.
(9) The department shall make rules establishing the membership, duties, and procedures of the human rights commission in accordance with the requirements of:
(a) this chapter; and
(b) Title 63G, Chapter 3, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act.
(10) The department shall provide administrative support to the commission.
|Board member||Type||Qualification||Original Appointment||Current Appointment||Expiration|
|Andrews, Adrienne G.||Member||Appointed by Governor||11/1/2014||11/01/2016||12/31/2018|
|Bankhead, Perry||Member||Appointed by Governor||2/12/2020||02/12/2020||2/12/2022|
|Banuri, Luna||Member||Appointed by Governor||2/5/2019||02/05/2019||2/5/2021|
|Chand, Neelam||Member||Appointed by Governor||2/12/2018||02/12/2018||2/12/2020|
|Houston, Emma E.||Chair||Appointed by Governor||11/1/2016||11/01/2018||10/31/2020|
|Johnson, Karen A.||Member||Appointed by Governor||11/1/2014||11/01/2016||12/31/2018|
|Kelley, Carla||Member||Appointed by Governor||4/1/2015||09/01/2017||8/1/2019|
|Maponga, Simba||Member||Appointed by Governor||2/12/2018||02/12/2018||2/12/2020|
|McDonald, Caitlin||Member||Appointed by Governor||2/5/2019||08/01/2019||8/1/2021|
|Powaukee, Bartholomew B.||Member||Appointed by Governor||2/5/2019||02/05/2019||2/5/2021|
|Shears, Bridget||Member||Appointed by Governor||2/5/2019||02/05/2019||2/5/2021|
|Thompson, Edward L.||Member||Appointed by Governor||3/1/2016||11/01/2018||10/31/2020|